That box of baking soda that sits in your fridge keeping it from getting stinky has many other uses (besides baking, of course). From baking to cleaning to beauty, here are 18 household uses for baking soda:
Bath & Beauty
Household uses for baking soda includes many for beauty purposes:
- Tooth whitener: Mix a tiny bit of baking soda with some water, enough to create a thick paste. Rub the mixture onto your teeth, and let it sit for five minutes before rinsing it out. Doing this once (or twice) a week, will give you a brighter smile.
- Exfoliating: You don’t need to purchase that expensive exfoliator from the drug store. Simply mix baking soda and water in a bowl and use the resulting paste to exfoliate your skin.
- Dry Shampoo: One of the household uses for baking soda is to use it as a dry shampoo. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of baking soda into your hair and distribute by brushing through it. This keeps grease at bay, making your hair look newly washed for days longer than if you went without it.
- Foot bath: You can create your own fabulous foot bath, by adding about a tablespoon of baking soda to some warm water. This works wonders with helping relax your feet. It’s also far better for removing odors than many specialty foot washes, which simply use another scent to cover stinky feet.
- Hair cleanser: Adding a teaspoon of baking soda to your regular shampoo is a great way to remove excess oils and dirt from your hair.
Cleaning is another of the many household uses for baking soda:
- Antibacterial fruit scrub: A little bit of baking soda mixed with water is a great way to clean fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Silverware cleaner: Let your silverware soak in a paste that is three parts baking soda and one part water for 15-20 minutes and all the dirt will wash away with the mixture.
- Dishwasher helper: Add a little bit of baking soda to your regular dish washing cycle. This will help cut through grease.
- Microwave cleaner: A teaspoon of baking soda spread out on a damp rag will cut right through the grease on your microwave.
- Drain cleaner: Don’t use nasty chemicals to clean your drains. Use a mixture of baking soda and water instead!
- Heartburn relief: Baking soda is used in some stomach medications like Tums, because it neutralizes stomach acid. Add half a teaspoon of baking soda to two cups (500ML) of water for quick relief.
- Improve kidney performance: Baking soda buffers existing acid in the body and helps keep our pH levels balanced so the kidney can function properly.
- Reduce ulcer pain: Again, because baking soda neutralizes stomach acid, it’s one of the best ways to reduce ulcer pain.
- Healing sore throats: Gargling a mixture of baking soda and water is a great way to kill bacteria and get pain relief.
- Fire extinguisher: This won’t work for big fires (duh), but baking soda can easily put out a small grease kitchen fire.
- Metal polish: A paste baking soda and water polishes steel and chrome as well as silver.
- Sweeten tomatoes: Sprinkle some baking soda into the soil around your tomato plants when they’re young. It makes them grow sweeter.
- Make fluffy omelettes: Add half a teaspoon of baking soda to 3 eggs. Who knew?
Want to find more great uses for baking soda? Find lots more here.